Friday, April 13, 2012

VACATION



Have you ever looked at the word VACATION?  I am on one of them this week, so my blog entry is going to be neither deep nor wide.  VACATION looks like it might well come from the root word, VACATE...to leave, as in leave the premises, the area, the routine, the daily responsibilities and do something relaxing, refreshing, and fun.  Every time I go on vacation that's my goal.  I look forward to disengaging.  No computers.  No smart phones.  No email.  I look forward to a day totally different from what my normal day looks like.  I want to recharge emotionally, physically, and spiritually.  This year I traveled again to the Big Island of Hawaii.  I'm snorkeling, hiking, enjoying local cuisine, drinking POG, (a delicious mix of passion fruit, orange and guava joices) and spending time at Mackenzie Park, where I enjoy the creative genius of God while reading, journalling, and spending time with my Creator/Redeemer.  Yet its interesting to realize how hard it is to really disconnect.  I have to resist the daily temptation to access work email, get on Facebook, stay connected to
things and people back home.  The fact that I am posting this blog shows I haven't quite succeeded.  VACATING is getting tougher and tougher each year.  Do you think you can go on vacation this year without logging in? Give it a shot.  I have a feeling it will be tougher than you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment