Friday, September 28, 2012

PUZZLES


I am one of those people who like puzzles, especially Sudokus and crossword puzzles.  There is something about solving a puzzle, especially a tough one, that gives a deep inner sense of satisfaction, a kind of Mt. Everest experience.   As I got into my grade school years, my Mom and Dad would buy me one new puzzle each Christmas that they thought would tax my brain and my perseverance.  There were Christmases where I hunkered down with my puzzle and hardly ate or made a peep for hours, even staying up until 3 or 4 in the morning to solve that critter.  My wife, Mary Ann picked up on that.  During our married years she would get me a puzzle from time to time.  The one that drove me to the brink of brain exhaustion was the Rubik’s cube.  She would see me working that cube, trying all kinds of moves to align the colors.   She would even whisper to me after hearing yet another sign of frustration, “I have the solution.”  
Life in some ways is like a puzzle.  We do our best to put the pieces together, seeking to put the right things in the right place and enjoy the satisfaction of the result.  Our response in life, much like mine to Mary Ann is, “I can do this.  I don’t need help.”   So we grit our teeth, stiffen our resolve and press on.  But life is more than a Rubik’s cube.  It is full of major decisions, life changing occurrences, bends in the road.  It can get complex and confusing.  We try and try and try.  Frankly we need help.  When we are ready to surrender Jesus is there to whisper in your ear, “I have the solution”.  Take Him up on it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment