Friday, October 12, 2012

NOT READY, BUT PREPARED


This week I was reminded again of the brevity of life.  We buried Scott Middleton, a friend and servant of Jesus.  He was 50 years old and living a full and meaningful life.  We understand and accept when someone who is 90 dies, whose body becomes more prison than pleasure, but 50…?
I have been a pastor for 37 years.  I have done a lot of funerals.  One year I buried a four month old boy who died of SIDS, a four year old boy who died on the operating table, a 17 year old girl who died of brain cancer, a 30 year old lady, a 50 year old man and a 90 year old man.  It was a reminder of how fragile life is.  The Bible says it well, and Christians are not exempt.  Through sin death came into the human race and it is no respecter of age.  My very first funeral in ministry was an 18 year old.  Ron was driving home from school early in his senior year.  He lived on a farm about two miles away.  He lost control of his car on a washboard road and ran into a tree, dying instantly.  Ron came to our Teen Action Center on Friday nights.  At the end of many meetings he and I would sit on the floor, lean against the wall and talk.  He was not a believer but was seriously considering what he heard.  Finally, one night in April, Ron prayed for forgiveness of his sins and received Jesus as His Savior.  In September he was gone.  The youth group went over to his family’s house shortly after the funeral service.  I will never forget what his Dad, Archie said to the kids.  “Ron wasn’t ready to die, but he was prepared.”  Are you?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate this post a great deal. Loss is one of those bittersweet feelings that leaves one feeling like he's in the middle of the ocean treading water and working to regain a sense of direction. As a Christian, I feel such deep peace that Loss is coupled with Gain--once having accepted the payment Christ offers, we gain all of eternity and all that is within. When a Christian dies, the grief is wrapped up in sweetness. I will never forget however, the utter desolation of Loss at losing someone from my life that was not a Christian, with no hope of eternity with the Lord, nor with me. I will not be seeing them again. I hope I never forget that hovering gross reality so that I may in all my remaining earthly days proclaim God's incredible gift to those that have yet to proclaim it. That's what I've dedicated my lifelong mission to do, and I'm determined to live it out. As a church family that led me to Christ and grew me spiritually, I thank you for this precious understanding. As supporters for my ministry, I thank you for allowing me this privilege to live out my calling to the fullest. Thanks for your faithfulness to lead this wonderful church family, Pastor Dave.
    Thanking God for you,
    Leah Rictor

    ReplyDelete