Thursday, November 15, 2012

THE PERFECT AGE


Have you ever wondered what the perfect age would be, where you could just freeze frame it and stay that age the rest of your life?

I always thought it was 26.  At that age I was full of energy, idealism, enough maturity to focus my life and have some impact, and maximized the possibilities of each day.

Then I thought it was 36.  I’d settled into a purposeful and meaningful ministry.  My marriage had found a good rhythm.  My kids were a blast and family times were just the best.  I was in peak physical shape and bringing my “A” game.

Then I thought it was 46.  I’d come to realize how much I had learned about life over the years, how I had matured in ways that allowed my gifts and passions to have broader impact.  Exciting new ministry doors opened.  There was greater wisdom, still great energy and health, a good pace to life, and a marriage that was fuller and deeper in relationship.

Then I thought it was 56.  I could look back over the years with satisfaction, a blessed marriage, kids who made me proud of how they were navigating life, the joy of their marriages and their maturing walk with God.  I had the opportunity to be amazed at God’s work in my life, how He had patiently and graciously been shaping my heart to desire Him above all else, guiding my life to fulfill His calling in me, yet still had passion and energy for the years to come.

Next week I turn 66.  Is this the perfect age?  I am now more fully aware of what really matters in life.  I have had the opportunity to put all this world has to offer side by side and have had enough time to determine what matters most, what is hay, wood and stubble and what is gold, silver and precious stone.   I have experienced and weathered enough crises to deepen my walk with the Lord to where He is more precious now than He ever was before.  Yet I still have strength, energy and a strong excitement to embrace the next chapter of my life.  
Every ten years seem to get me to the best year of my life.  

Can’t wait until I turn 76!!

No comments:

Post a Comment