Friday, December 14, 2012

CHRISTMAS

A week ago Saturday, a number of people gathered to run a 5K.  What brought them together was a common love and friendship for Scott Middleton, a 50 year old friend who died suddenly while working out on his treadmill.  As I did my three miles I reflected back on the years I’d known Scott and realized that relationships truly are the richest and most meaningful substance of life.  As we grow up we love having friends, people to do things with, explore new experiences with, be encouraged by, draw strength from, laugh with, eat with, cry with, cheer for.  As we mature we recognize that many of our relationships have grown so deep that we can’t imagine life without them.  Marriages are that way.  Our children produce those feelings.  

But then something happens and a loss occurs.  The relationship is over and we feel the pain.  Christmas can intensify that feeling.  The losses become vivid again.  The “missing them” rises to the surface.  But though the pain of loss is real, we would rather live with our pain than never have had the joy of the relationship.   I can’t imagine adopting the philosophy of Simon and Garfunkel, who in their song, “I Am a Rock”, penned these words.  “Hiding in my room, I’m safe within my womb.  I touch no one and no one touches me.”  Or these, lamenting the fact that a relationship didn’t work out, Don't talk of love. I've heard the words before.  They’re sleeping in my memory. I won't disturb the slumber of feelings that have died. If I never loved I never would have cried.” 

All that seems so empty.  Relationships might be risky.  Hurt may come from them.  Grief may be your experience.  But the value and joy of them far surpasses all risk.  God entered into relationship with mankind through Jesus Christ.  He knew the joy of relationships, his love for friends.  His heart felt deeply for them.  He wept when Lazarus died.  And he didn’t care what the cost, whatever it takes, He wants a relationship with us.  That’s Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment