Tuesday, March 6, 2012

20/20

In the 1980’s I had eye surgery to correct double vision.  Double vision can be a good thing when you’re counting attendance on a Sunday morning, but it is a bad thing when you’re playing baseball and a line drive is coming at you.  Our vision is important.  We value it.  In fact we may feel it is the most important of our five senses.  
Vision is important to a church as well.  Without vision to see where we are going, we can stumble around and grope our way into the future without a clear sense of direction.
How is CCC’s vision?  I think it is pretty good.  Our vision “EYE CHART” is posted in the front foyer for all to see, but if you haven’t read it lately, see how it reads to you.
WE WILL BE
A CHURCH
OF PASSIONATE FOLLOWERS
OF JESUS CHRIST
COMMITTED
TO HIS STRATEGY
FOR MAKING DISCIPLES.
What does that look like?  Here is what resonates with me and has my commitment.
As a part of the church body:
I will engage people in relationships and by word and deed share with them the good news of the gospel, that God loved them so much He died for them so they may have everlasting life. 
I will continue a lifelong quest to grow in my relationship with Christ to where his character is reflected in my life more and more, and where what matters most to Him matters most to me.
I will engage His mission by using the gifts and talents He has given me both inside and outside the walls of our church building.   I will serve others.
All this will be pursued in the context of loving and caring relationships, and prayer.
It is really not complex.  It is short and sweet, but by focusing on these things our vision will be clear, 20/20 in fact.  Are you seeing things clearly these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment