Thursday, March 22, 2012

I HATE CANCER!

I remember the day as if it was yesterday.  June 1st, 2009.  We had gone to my daughters for a few days.  Even though Mary wasn’t feeling the greatest, she didn’t want to miss time with Sarah and Matt.  As the day unfolded, it became evident there was something really wrong with Mary.  We took her to the ER at the University of North Carolina Hospital.  After tests were completed Dr. Germanwala,  a neurosurgeon, gave me the most life shattering news I could have ever received.  “Your wife has a mass on her brain.  It is cancer and she has just months to live.”
Cancer!  I hate Cancer.  It invaded my wife’s body uninvited and insidiously began to take her life until the ugly deed of death was accomplished, May 21, 2010.  Not only did it take Mary’s life it has infiltrated the lives of many of my friends.  Why do I and many others hate cancer?  Because we deeply love the person that has it and we hate to see what it does to them.  
Sin is a spiritual cancer in our lives.  Why does God hate it so?  Because He deeply loves the person who is being destroyed by it and knows what the full consequence of sin will be.  But where we are helpless against cancer, God is not helpless regarding sin.  He did something about it.
Easter fills its lungs and shouts at the top of her voice, “God really loves mankind!”  
We are in the Lenten season.  It is a time to reflect on the passionate love of Christ.  He saw the effects of sin in the humanity He created and did something about it.  His desire to see us free from sin and its effects caused Him to come to earth in human form, die the cruel death of crucifixion, and provide the only cure for our sinful condition.  So many people today live lives far beneath what God created them for.  They experience sins invasion resulting in broken lives, ruined relationships, gnawing guilt, unfulfilled potential, and eternal death.  God sees it all.  He says, “I have so much more for you.  Will you let me bring the cure?  I died for you.  I shed my blood for you.  I offer you life in its fullest and best.  
Are you experiencing that this Easter?  If not, what’s holding you back?  

No comments:

Post a Comment