Friday, March 15, 2013

LOVING BIG


I live 12 minutes and 22 seconds from my grandboys, Owen and Griffin.  (I’ve timed it).  I have made some observations about myself regarding them. 

Owen just finished his Upward Basketball season.  As a six year old he is learning all the nuances that come with playing basketball on a team.  Offense.  Defense.  It’s fun to watch him out on the court.  In fact when he’s on the court my eyes follow his every movement.  He doesn’t have to be the star, the big scorer, he doesn’t even have to have the ball.  When he is on the court I just love watching him.  I even like watching him when he’s on the bench.  The same goes for Griffin.  If I hear that Griffin is down in the church pre-school area, I go on the hunt.  No matter how many kids are running around, I look for Griffin and love watching him at play.  I can’t take my eyes off him.  It doesn’t even matter how unexciting something may be, I love to watch my grandboys.

It probably seems obvious as to why.  They are my family.  They aren’t just any boys.  They are my boys.  They are related to me.  I am their grandpa.  As such they own my heart and I love and care about them in a big time way.  If you are a parent or grandparent you know what I mean.

I imagine that is how it is with God.  We are family through Jesus Christ.  We are His children.  He loves to keep his eyes on us as we go through life, encouraging, applauding, and letting the hosts of heaven know, “That’s my kid”.  We don’t have to be the super star,  or even in the playing rotation.  We may be on the team, but on the bench.  Easter reminds us of the love God has for us, all of us.  I hope you know how true it is.  As big as your love is for your kids and grandkids, so is God’s love for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment