Friday, March 29, 2013

MEMORIZATION


As a kid in Sunday School I remember having to learn memory verses each week.  With the encouragement of my mother (being made to sit in a chair at the kitchen table and recite it until I had it memorized to her satisfaction before I could go out and play on a Saturday morning) I memorized a large number of verses during my elementary aged years.  

But I must admit as the years went by verse memorization went by the wayside as well.  One year, while pastoring in Newton, Iowa, a friend from church and I decided to memorize verses and passages of Scripture, a new one each week.  And each week we would recite all the previous week’s verses as well.  Toward the end of the year that was a significant amount of verses.  That was back in the 1980’s.  I have memorized very few verses since.

Is there value in memorization?  Today we really need to memorize very little.  Our smart phones become our memory bank.  All we do is pull a name up and push call.  No need to know phone numbers anymore.

But I wonder if we have lost something with the “memorization is too much work” mindset.  Ps 119:11 reminds us to hide the Word of God in our heart so that its instant recall can guide our decision making and lifestyle choices while increasing our understanding of God and His Word.  Memorization really helps us get intimate with the Scriptures.  And even if we can’t retain verses and passages word perfect the core truths still remain with us. 

I think memorization is a good discipline for the Christian life as well a good use of our brain power.  Who knows but that the exercise thereof may keep us from the early onset of brain shrivel.

No comments:

Post a Comment