Tuesday, April 23, 2013

PET PEEVES


I have really been missing out.  I haven’t had a pet peeve for an incredibly long time.  I couldn’t manufacture one no matter how hard I tried.  Maybe it’s the mellowing of older age where things just don’t really bother you anymore.  But then out of the blue a pet peeve stood right in front of me in big bold, letters.  CAN’T PEOPLE LEAVE THEIR CELL PHONES ALONE FOR EVEN 5 WHOLE MINUTES?  You’re in a conversation with someone and a little ding goes off that a text has arrived.  The cell phone has to be looked at.  It’s like Pavlov’s dog.  The cell phone is the stimulus that controls human behavior.  The current conversation with a human being who is looking at you and interested in what you are saying gets put on hold and the cell phone takes priority.  Cell phones, as great a tool as they are, have become intrusive.  We don’t own them, they own us.  They have such a grip on us they entice us to engage in dangerous activity, like when we drive.  So I say, “Hallelujah for the cell phone”.  I finally have a pet peeve.  But I still I say it’s time to say dang to the ding and let the texts wait their turn.  

I feel better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment