Tuesday, August 6, 2013

GROWING UP TOO FAST? - REPOST


“They’re growing up too fast!”  Every parent or grandparent has expressed those words.  I got off the phone the other day after talking with my daughter.  Since I’ve last seen my grandboys, Luke and Sam, they are starting to walk and to climb on everything they can get a good grip and foothold on.  They are moving into full fledged boyhood.   I remember when our children were small, Mary would often say, “I wish I could keep them this age forever.”    But if you could do that, you realize you would be keeping them from the fullest life for which they were created.   As we live we want to develop to the next steps.  We want to learn to drive a car, pursue a career, marry, see the world, take big risks, experience adventure, and keep pushing further into the opportunities of life.

It is obvious from the Word that our heavenly Father never says of us who are Christians, “I wish I could keep them small forever.”  He wants us to reach our full maturity and pursue life in His kingdom with the same “want to” that we do in our physical world.  Unfortunately there are many Christians who cease developing, almost as if they are saying, “I want to remain at this age forever,” and rather than continue the hard work of developing to maturity, seem content to remain dependent tykes or adolescents.

None of us want to thwart our full potential.  If we are not there yet spiritually, lets kick into gear again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment