Friday, August 30, 2013

A GOOD WALK SPOILED


It was Mark Twain who called the game of golf a good walk spoiled.  If you’ve ever attempted to play the game you might agree.  I enjoy playing but find many ways to spoil a good round.  Monday night I played with some men from church.  On one hole I hit a ball out of bounds.  That was tough enough on the score for that hole, but then I compounded the problem by trying to make up for it with a “miracle” shot, basically a shot that had no chance to succeed except in my dreams.  I put that shot in the creek.  Add another penalty stroke.  Now I’m really desperate.  I need another “miracle” shot.  None was forthcoming which contributed to more shots on that hole than I want to confess.  Sometimes we just don’t know when to get smart.

But the nice thing about golf is that each hole is a fresh start.  You get to tee it up again and a new chance for that par.  You get to screw your head back on straight and learn from your recent mistakes.

As we live life we do find ourselves in the “rough” or “out of bounds” at times.   We’ve made some mistakes that cost us.  But what a joy to know that God’s forgiveness gives us fresh starts and a chance to improve our game.   Don’t let your Christian life be a good walk spoiled.  Keep playing smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment