Thursday, March 13, 2014

CAMPING


What were the most spiritually influential places you attended when you were growing up?  Though I went to church every Sunday with my parents, the places where my most significant decisions were made about God were not in church believe it or not.  They were at retreats and summer camps.  I went to my first camp when I was 8 years old.  It was there I prayed with the camp director to receive Christ.  (My mom loved to tell people I was having such a good time I never once opened my suitcase.  It came back exactly as she had packed it.  Must have slept in my clothes and worn the same underwear for a week.  Is that possible?)  

As the years went by I attended camps every summer into my teen years.  The Spirit of God really got my attention during those weeks for I remember going to the altar to rededicate myself to God.  Spiritual maturity seldom outstrips personal maturity so growing in Christ takes a lot longer time when you start out at 8 years old.  But those years were so instrumental in what God was doing in my life and how He was preparing me for the life He planned for me.  I look back with fondness at summer camp.  

But many kids don’t do church camp any more.  Can I encourage you Moms and Dads to consider sending your kid to church camp this summer?  Robb Burt our Children’s Pastor is promoting one in August for 3-6 graders.  Be sure you look for the details as they come your way.  Church camp can make a huge difference in your kid’s life as they grow.  It is a great investment whether they unpack their suitcase or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment