Thursday, March 20, 2014

THE ADVOCATE


Last year at this time my sister was involved in a car accident in which my cousin was killed.  Because there was a death my sister had to appear before a judge for sentencing.  Fortunately she had an attorney who would be her advocate, presenting the facts of the case and asking the court for mercy in the midst of justice.  Her advocate was a veteran lawyer in these types of cases.  The outcome was fair and just and we as a family were so thankful for this man’s representation.

I was reading in I John, that short but uplifting epistle, and came across this verse which starts chapter 2.  “My little children, I am writing these things to you that you may not sin.  And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the Righteous.”  What a blessed encouragement that verse is.  Jesus is a veteran presence in the court.  He understands our weaknesses having been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.  Our Advocate is better than any attorney on earth, for no matter what our crime, Jesus did the time.  He took our sins upon Him that we might stand righteous and uncondemnable before our Holy Father.  What an advocate.  Need one?

No comments:

Post a Comment