Friday, June 22, 2012

PARTY HARDY


Do we do enough celebrating in life?  I’m realizing how much fun it is to have a good celebration.  I was looking back over some of the really big ones that still bring a smile to my face.   There was the arrival of my Mom’s family from Germany in 1957.  She had not seen them since she’d left Germany 30 years earlier.  Wow what a day!  My graduation from Marine Corps Boot Camp.  Big time celebration.  And then there was my Minnesota Twins 1987 World Series win.  And what about a WEDDING!  Not sure it gets better than that.  Around here I don’t think I’ve seen families celebrate a child’s first birthday any better.  We love to celebrate big events and milestones, and well we should.  But do we celebrate enough of them?
As you read the Bible you realize that God is into celebration.   He loves a good party.  He gives His people reasons for feasts and some real blowouts.  It’s like He is saying, “Take the life I have given you and the relationships we have together, and CELEBRATE.”  Whether the occasion was deliverance from Egypt, an abundant harvest, or a wedding, Party hardy!!  
It’s fun to celebrate a lot of things in life, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, job promotions, our favorite team’s championship, but I wonder if there are some we overlook.  How about celebrating the anniversary of our spiritual birthday, or our baptism, or the occasion when we had the joy of leading someone to Christ?  Pretty big stuff.  We could call it a new life party!  I think God could really get into that.

No comments:

Post a Comment